You Meet Some Of The Nicest People Online

Monday, May 2, 2011
Today, with the kids gone, I have been catching up on blogs that I follow.  I love reading about what people are doing, things they've tried, and what they are thinking.  It made me realize how much things have changed in the last 20 years.

I remember when most of us had no internet or what we did have was extremely slow.  I'm not sure how we got anything accomplished back then.  Okay, to be honest, sometimes I don't get as much accomplished now that I get "stuck" online.  Seriously, how did we live without being able to run to our computers to find out if we can just cut the moldy patch off that expensive block of cheese or if we have to toss it.

Who would have thought back then that we would be able to meet people from all over the world, without ever leaving home?  Those that haven't done it don't understand that some of the friendships you make online are just as valid as those you make elsewhere.

My daughter got married last year to a wonderful young man who lives in Canada.  He's had an extended visit here in the States and I've gotten to know him pretty well.  They met online playing games nearly 7 years ago.  She loves him very much and he adores her and treats her very well.   I'm lucky to have him for a son-in-law.

It's not just the younger people who are doing things like this.  Outside of my family, the four people that mean the most to me in this world, I met online.  They are all men, go figure.  One lives in Belgium.  He makes me think, stretches my mind and encourages me to get out and learn and try new things. 

 Another lives in Texas.  He's my music mentor as well as being a great friend.  He is a college professor by day and a struggling musician by night.  His band, Telling Stories, released their second CD last year and they are working on their next one.




Electronic Press Kit


My dearest friend lives in Northern California.  He leads a busy life there and we don't get to connect as often as I would like but we keep in touch when we can.  He makes me laugh and we can spend hours just talking.  He never forgets my birthday and that alone means the world to me.  Almost nothing perks me up more than getting an email or an IM from him.  

Last but not least, there is The Greek.

The Greek and I have been living together for almost 2 years.  I moved from California to Wisconsin to be with him. We met online a few years ago.  He actually met my alter ego first when he heard her singing somewhere, then hired her for a weekly show.  We started talking and spending more and more time together.  The ex was moving the kids out of state and The Greek's boys were all moving out.  He asked me to come live with him.  After Colorado, I had a promised myself that I'd never live where it snowed again.  Here I am.  Sometimes love makes you do stupid things. 

I have quite a few other friends that I met online that I'm close to.  They are all over the world.  The US, Canada, Philippines, Australia, Brazil, Germany, New Zealand, Japan, Spain, Scotland, UK, Ireland, Africa...the list goes on and on.  Some help me for specific things like fixing my sound when I've messed up my mixer or another who I go to when I need more insight about myself.  Most are just good people and I am happy when we can spend some time together.

How about you?  Have any of you met anyone online that you can't imagine not being in your life today?

No comments:

Post a Comment