The Cast of Characters

Wednesday, April 20, 2011
I jumped into this blog with both feet and now looking back, I think I've done things a little bass-ackwards, as they say.  I guess I should introduce myself a bit and my list of leading characters.

I'm a mother of 3, divorced but currently in a relationship.  I've lived in Alabama, Colorado, California and Hawaii.  I live in Wisconsin now but consider Hawaii "home".  We're looking to move to Arizona, when we can get this house sold.

I frequently mention my alter ego.  Three years ago, a dream came true for me.  I started a side career as a singer.  It's a long story but I do my singing online live to a real audience.  I have fans literally all over the world.  I enjoy it, it makes people happy and I make some nice pocket change.  I'm not ready yet for that side of me to be connected with this side of me, but it's only a matter of time.

I moved here from California to be with The Greek.  I never know how to refer to him.   My boyfriend, my partner...he's all those things but the tags don't sound right, so for these blogs he's just The Greek.  He's a single father of two adult sons both of whom are currently living with us.  He's a poet and an avid vegetable gardener.  I put in my order in the spring and he plants, tends and picks.  He's lived here all his life and so I've been opening his eyes to real Asian cuisine.  He's used to living alone with just his sons.  I think I amuse him.  I tease him that he'd live a boring life if he didn't have me.

My daughter, Di, is approaching 30.  She lives in Canada with her husband and his family.  They will celebrate their first anniversary next month.  I love my daughter!  She's patient and compassionate.  Smart as a whip and very resourceful.  She's imaginative and loves doing crafts.  She used to decorate cakes and when we move and I get the stuff from my storage unit in California, I'll post pictures of them.  Her brothers love her to death.  She also grows her own veggies and bakes her own bread many days.  She is the other half of the team on my other blog, Flipside: Umami.  I miss her and can't wait until she can be back in the states near me.

Di at 3 mos old

Rabbit is my 11 year old son.  Yes, there is a large age span, nearly 17 years between my two oldest.  No, it definitely wasn't an accident.  He is an amazing kid.  He's shy until he gets to know you but once you get to know him, you can't help but love him.  He's got the best laugh in the world.  We thought he'd never learn to read then all of a sudden it clicked and six months later he was reading past Jr High School level.  Now he reads well above that.  He's already read the whole Harry Potters series and the Lord of the Ring Trilogy, among other books.  His 3rd and 4th grade teacher could not keep enough books around for him.  He'll let others push him around sometimes but won't let them touch his brother or his cousin.  He takes awesome care of his brother and I couldn't be prouder of him.

Horse and Rabbit Easter 2003


Horse is the baby of the family.  He's 8 years old now.  Time passes so quickly.  He is an easy going child with a quick smile.  He can be overly silly at times and very serious at other times.  He's a big time cuddler, actually both my boys are.  He reads extremely well but isn't as into it as Rabbit.  While Rabbit will read anything he can get his hands on, Horse will only read stuff he really likes, like Percy Jackson.  He is a math wiz though and still surprises me on how fast his mind can work, when HE wants it to.  I think his motto is. "It ain't no big thing".  After he started a new school, I asked him, "Do you have any friends yet?"  He says, "yeah a-watts" (a lot).  "Do you know their names?"  "No"  I know he was thinking...their my friends, they play with me...who needs names.  That's how he lives life, carefree.

I call them Rabbit and Horse because those are their Chinese zodiac signs.  During the school year, they live in California with their father.  I get them for school breaks.  They will be here this weekend and I cannot wait!  It's Easter and we get to do easter-y things.  I'm sure you'll get to hear about them too.

So that's the list of the major characters.  Only other one would be The Ex, meaning my ex-husband, the kid's father.  Enough said.

No comments:

Post a Comment