Holding It

Saturday, April 16, 2011
It's been a busy day here but in an attempt to post something everyday, I'm just going to prattle a bit about my day.

I'm a night owl, always have been.  Which also means I'm a late riser.  I hate mornings and love late nights.  The phone doesn't ring, normally, and I can work and not be disturbed.  So when I don't have the kids, I wake up around what would be lunch time for most people.

Today I had two early afternoon appointments at the hospital for an ultrasound and a mammogram.  I've been putting off the mammogram for a year.  At my age more often than not I go in for one thing and they find 5 more things wrong that I never knew was a problem.  Since both tests were in the same department, I bit the bullet and scheduled them both at the same time. 

I was told to drink 32 oz of water an hour before my appointment so that I'd have a full bladder for the ultrasound.  I don't eat until 2 or 3 hours after I get up because the thought of it makes me ill.  I'd forgotten about that until after I woke up, so 30 min after I got out of bed, I had to down all that liquid.  I usually drink a lot of water during the day but this much this early made me nauseous.  I got ready to go but now I've got the chills from not feeling well and all this water sloshing around in my stomach.  I step outside to go to the car and it's COLD!  My bladder then reminded me how full it was getting.  I squeeze my legs together glad that the hospital is only about 10 minutes from home. 

 We park and get out into the cold again and walk across the street and into the building.  Radiology is on the first floor but the door we went in leads to a dead end.  There are 2 different elevators there and a door that leads out to the ambulance bay.  Ok I really have to go now but can't until after the ultrasound.  We finally figure out we need to catch the elevator up to the 2nd floor, take a series of walkways and hallways over to another part of the building and then go back down to the first floor.

We finally get to radiology.  They try and send me to the mammogram first.  I'm not standing in front of a machine with my boobs on a cold table maybe being handled by colder hands when I have to go this bad!  They agree to wait and the rest goes off without a hitch.  We do the ultrasound and I finally get to empty my full bladder.  The mammogram tech is ready and waiting, so after about an hour I'm free to go after another stop in the bathroom.  

When I get out to the waiting room, BF tells me he got a call and someone is coming to see the house in a couple of hours.  We have had the house for sale since just after Thanksgiving.  Once it's sold, we are moving to Arizona to get out of the cold and we can't wait!  So we rush home to clean.  You know...get the toothpaste out of the bathroom sinks, put away all the things on the kitchen counter we use day to day, vacuum, dust.  By the time all that was done and the house tour was over, it was nearly 6 pm and I still hadn't eaten.  I wanted something good and fast so I came up with a new dish!  Portobella tacos!  You can view it here at my food blog, Flipside: Umami.

The rest of my day was pretty uneventful.  I did get asked to do a remembrance concert this Sunday.  I agreed then  later realized it's the 4th anniversary of my sister's passing the same day.  So it's very appropriate.  On Sunday, I'll tell you about it and her.

No comments:

Post a Comment